Friday 11 July 2008

six: The Shoes

It was the last day of college today and the end to a wonderful week. Days off college, films, Mumford & Sons and Jeremy Warmsley gigs, Chinese buffets and money. It all happened. But now it's time to get down and spend summer finding work...maybe. On the other hand. I could stay up late and go out some more.


I've been hearing alot from The Shoes when I'm out and about. Whether it's their top knotch remixes or their own punch in the face songs like recent single Knockout they seem to be upholding France's reputation for being the epicentre of great dance music (think Kitsune kids).
They are more imaginative than that name, mind. If I'm honest I'm suprised no one's taken it up before, going on how often we all wear shoes... But yeah, their creativeness is definitely a real snag. If you listen to an original mix of something and then go and listen to their remix, it's got a fist-punching catchiness to it. Just as all great remixes should.
An example is Young Love by Mystery Jets. The Shoes rework has got a dawdling guitar riff over the vocals with some blaring sirens added in just to be safe. It gives even more electricity to the "vibe" of the track.
On the other side of the coin, the band's own tracks are just as sustained and scream "Move your limbs to me or else!" Elbows at the ready.
My favourite song of theirs has to be Baby I'm 4 Real. It edges right up to the cliff face of cheesy electro and then turns itself around into something that I particularly like to listen to on the nightbus (don't judge) mainly 'cos of those catchy ass string synths.

I'm gonna spoil you and give for you a two in one so you can compare their skillz fo' yo'self.
Listen to Baby I'm 4 Real here.
Listen to The Shoes remix of Just Kiss Her by Candy Clash here.

2 comments:

APTFiveOneSix said...

The string synths sound like a sample from a late 80's/early 90's song that I can't remember, any idea?

machin said...

yeah they do sound quite familiar, I'm always trying to put my finger on it!