Thursday 3 July 2008

three: Pengilly's

Today I did a lot of travelling. Bus, foot, train, foot, train, foot, bus. I love travelling to music and love travelling songs (n.b. Another Travellin' Song Bright Eyes, Night Train Patrick Wolf). And I do find travelling alone very reflective, I had company today but I still had certain songs in mind as I made my way to Lyme Park (how jet-setty am I?).

To London by Pengilly's might not be relevant to a stately home near to the village of Disley, but it is at heart a perfect, autobiographical travelling song.
Ric Hollingbery is a 19-year old, studying at Leeds University but originally from the good old capital of London (thus, explaining To London) and fronts this fantastic outfit in his spare time. You should expect to hear accordion, ukulele, violin, viola, cello, honky tonk, french horn, trumpet and banjo all mixed into a rich, hearty collection of songs. And sorry if you're expecting some sort of multi-tasking whizz-kid, but Ric has a band of superb musicians at his side; James Andrewes, So- Yeon Kim, Chris Stevens, Lara Verney, Bryony Aethelflaed Watson and Jeremy Parker to name a few.

Ric also has his fingers in Emmy The Great and Corinne Bailey-Rae flavoured pies. He's currently working with Emmy on live shows and has contributed to Corinne's as yet unreleased albums, proof of his youthful genius I'm sure. If you'd like to catch Pengilly's live, try The Old Queen's Head in Islington on the 10th of July, you won't be disappointed.

To carry on with the travelling theme here's Escapade. Enjoy.

No comments: